Fall Guan Yin Retreat registration is now closed. Thank you for your interest. For future retreats, please see here.
“Reciting the name of Guan Yin or Amitabha is called the mind cleansing pearl. The texts attest that if you can single-mindedly recite, it’s like cleansing your mind. It’s as after the rain comes, the air and the sky, everything is bright and clear. Everything is cleansed because you are reciting single-mindedly. You are “wu nian”, no-thought; reciting yet not reciting. With no-thought, automatically the purity returns by itself. You don’t have to 'get it'. So, the very fact that you recite single-mindedly stops the mind from wandering, and the natural energy just returns by itself—that’s the feeling of cleansing and purity.”
— Dr. Martin Verhoeven
Guan Shi Yin Bodhisattva [or simply “Guan Yin”] represents Great Compassion. Her name literally means Contemplator of the Sounds of the World. She listens deeply to the sounds of all living beings and responds accordingly. From reciting her name, we tap into our own inherent capacity for kindness and compassion.
Come join us for one week of intensive recitation and meditation practice in a monastic environment. The daily schedule consists of chanting, walking, bowing, and sitting meditation as well as discussions and lectures to explain the practice.
- Engage in discussions with practicing monks, nuns, and teachers.
- Meet other students interested in exploring Buddhism.
- Experience the methods of Guan Yin recitation, contemplation, and meditation.
- Study from Buddhist sacred texts the methods of practices related to Guan Yin Bodhisattva.
- Train according to the Buddhist moral code of conduct.
- Try a vegetarian diet.
Beginners’ Track available for participants with no prior experience.
Participants of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply!
Room and Board: $150*
* We are committed to making sure that finance is not an obstacle in attending the retreat, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have financial difficulty paying for room and board.
For more information, contact email@example.com.